GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard)

What is the GOTS label ?


Type of label : Voluntary marking, independently controlled
Family of products concerned : Textiles
Products concerned : Textiles cotton, wool, silk, hemp.

International label of organic textiles created in 2008 by a working group gathering together the International Association Natural Textile Industry (based in Germany), the Soil Association (United Kingdom), the Organic Trade Association (United States) and the Japan Organic Cotton Association (Japan).

The issues of the creation of the label

Created on the initiative of historical actors recognized in their countries, the repository has a high level of obligation. Today is a label which earns his recognition by citizens consumers.

The Global Organic Textile Standard certification

The GOTS certification is a system of certification of textile products which ensures the biological origin of fibers and ensures to all stages of production and processing of textile production, processes used are socially responsible and respectful of the environment (heavy metals, the formaldehyde, GMO enzymes and carcinogenic amines are prohibited).

Label specifications

"Made with [X%] organic materials"

Certified by [certifier's réf]
The GOTS label must be accompanied by information concerning the percentage of organic material contained in the final product, possibly clarify if it's organic crops or in organic conversion. All textiles should be composed of a minimum of 75% organic material.

The GOTS label has two levels of requirement


  • ORGANIC TEXTILES: at least 95% of textile fibers must be certified organic. The remaining 5% can be man-made fibers (viscose for example). The mixture of the same organic and non organic fiber is not allowed.
  • ORGANIC FIBERS BASED TEXTILES: fibers must be certified organic or in conversion from 70 to 95%. The remaining 30% can be non-organic fibers. Artificial or synthetic fibers are allowed 10% maximum (25% for socks, tights and sportswear). The mixture is not allowed.
    Regarding chemicals used by the manufacturing process, the repository GOTS excludes the use of aromatic solvents, of chlorophenol, detergents such as the APEO, EDTA, DTPA, of formaldehyde, GMOs, fungicides or biocides, halogenated solvents, heavy metals, dyes containing metals (except the authorized copper at 5% in blue or green dye, and iron), fluorocarbons...
    Mercerization using soda is authorized provided that the soda is recycled. Accessories such as buttons can be plastic other than PVC. The repository also includes social criteria based on the fundamental conventions of the International Labour Office (ILO): respect for the rights of employees, no forced job, not excessive hours of work, no child labour, Union rights, right of organizations and collective bargaining, safety at work, payment of decent salaries, no precarious employment.